Newsletter Vol 32 Feb 2016, Stratford Upon Avon
Hey Zig Zag,
I forgot how different (and delicious!) salads are in France. Which makes finding delicious nutrition options a lot easier.
I’m away for a few days #MeandDantime
Years ago I use to see a break/holiday as a time to throw away the rule book of eating “healthily”. I didn’t enjoy the way I was eating and I couldn’t wait to take a break.
A little different now a days as I no longer think about being on or off the wagon, because the wagon is pretty damn good and tasty.
Here’s a few key things for my travel eating, #LeanIntoReal style:
Eating one huge #BOS (Big Old Salad) is one of my DNHs, or Daily Nutritional Habits. DNHs are 3 unique eating behaviours that YOU do every day.
They will be different for everyone. In general, your DNHs must meet the 3 E’s criteria: effortless, effective and enjoyable. They are ways to automate your eating so that you don’t have to stress and think about it all too much.
For me, having at least one #BOS a day guarantees that if I have no other veggies that day, that I get at least 5-6 servings in that salad.
Salads need to be delicious. Let’s face it. Salads get a bad rap, mostly because there’s this idea that they have to have no taste or be super “clean” to be effective as a food choice.
I would take someone eating a Caesar salad every day over no veggies at all. Let’s not let perfect be the enemy of good. Make that salad work for you, so that you might, ahem, actually start to enjoy it.
Here are things I am always looking out for, to increase the Satisfaction Factor of my #BOS:
- Add 1-2 dietary fats: some examples are bacon, cheese, avocado, etc.
- Add crunch: I like almonds, cabbage or raw sliced carrots, bacon, crunched up cracker
- Choose a dressing that you enjoy. Again, a salad doesn’t lose all health properties if it’s not covered in only lemon juice. Be real. If you like Ranch, use it. Try different options until you find one you love.
- Add delicious protein. You don’t have to just eat grilled chicken or baked fish. I’ll often do marinated meats and even fried chicken! Worrying about marinades and sodium and a little breading is a small rock. Get veggies, get protein … Look for the BIG boulders!
- Chop it up. There’s something about chopped salads that make you feel like you aren’t just eating raw leaves and stems (no thanks) even cut salads up as much as possible at restaurants. My friends always laugh because I literally try to make every salad into a chopped one.
Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.
Remember, you have to figure out how to eat FOREVER. And anything less than satisfying will never make it into the sustainable eating column.
AND, I’d take it one step further: if you don’t find ways to feel satisfied (not stuffed!) in your eating, then you’ll end up eating more and worse rubbish later!
Let your #BOS be a preemptive cheat for you. Give yourself some nutritional relief. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
Bye for now
PS 8 Week Forever Kick Start Challenge.
Next one starts w/c 29th March.
CLICK HERE only if you want to learn to love the way you eat FOREVER
Be You...but even better.
Allison Harding,Fitness & Motivation Coach
copyright@2015, all rights reserved